Athletic Department Shake-Up

Syracuse University hires former Boise State staffer as deputy athletics director

Syracuse University has hired John Cunningham as deputy athletics director for administration, according to an SU Athletics release.

He joins current deputy athletics directors Herman Frazier and Kimberly Keenan-Kirkpatrick.

Cunningham worked previously at Boise State with recently hired athletic director Mark Coyle. At BSU, Cunningham served as the senior associate athletics director for external relations and executive director for NCAA Compliance.

During a probational period with the NCAA, Cunningham managed Boise State’s compliance efforts. Syracuse is also currently in a probationary period following the NCAA’s report on the university, which was released in March.

“John’s strong background in NCAA compliance and athletics administration will enhance our department,” Coyle said in the release. “He has a broad-based experience in rules education from three different institutions which provides valuable perspective.”

Cunningham served in the compliance department at both Texas Christian University and the University of Maryland. He graduated from TCU in 2001 and earned a law degree from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2005.