Field Hockey

Syracuse rises 1 spot to No. 11 in NFHCA Poll

Lars Jendruschewitz | Asst. Photo Editor

Despite losing to then No.4 Virginia in the ACC quarterfinals, Syracuse rose one spot to No. 11 in the final NFHCA poll.

Syracuse (10-7, 2-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) rose one spot to No. 11 in the final NFHCA Coaches’ Poll Tuesday. The Orange went up in the rankings despite falling 3-2 to then-No. 4 Virginia in the ACC tournament quarterfinals.

The Orange led 2-0 at halftime against the Cavaliers on goals from Willemijn Boogert and Eefke van den Nieuwenhof — her 14th of the season. But Syracuse let its lead slip. SU let up three unanswered goals in the fourth quarter, falling to Virginia for the second time this season.

Syracuse is fifth in the poll among five ACC teams who were selected for the tournament. Ahead of it are No. 1 North Carolina, No. 3 Duke, No. 5 Virginia, and No. 10 Louisville.

Earlier this week, Syracuse earned an at-large big to the NCAA tournament. The Orange will take on No. 7 Liberty. At 17-2, Liberty also earned an at-large big after losing to now-No. 17 Old Dominion 3-1 in the Big East final.

Syracuse’s first round matchup is at 2:30 p.m. Friday in Durham, North Carolina.